Here is a look from 2004 about the pros and cons of war against Iraq from information available at that time. It is included here for historical purposes.
The possibility of war with Iraq is a very divisive issue around the world. Turn on any news show and you will see a daily debate on the pros and cons of going to war. The following is a list of the reasons being discussed both for and against war. This is not intended as an endorsement for or against the war, but is meant as a quick reference. Please use the poll to express your opinion on the possible war.
Reasons For War
- The United States and the world has a duty to disarm a rogue nation like Iraq.
- Saddam Hussein is a tyrant that has demonstrated a complete disregard for human life and should be brought to justice.
- The people of Iraq are an oppressed people, and the world has a duty to help these people.
- The oil reserves of the region are necessary to the world's economy. A rogue element like Saddam threatens the oil reserves of the entire region.
- The practice of appeasement only fosters even bigger tyrants.
- By removing Saddam Hussein, the world of the future is safer from terrorist attacks.
- The creation of another nation favorable to US interests in the Middle-east.
- The removal of Saddam Hussein would uphold previous UN resolutions and give the body some credibility.
Reasons Against War
- A pre-emptive strike lacks moral authority and violates previous US policy.
- The war will create civilian casualties.
- The UN inspectors might be able to resolve this issue.
- The liberating army will lose troops.
- The Iraqi state could disintegrate.
- The US and allies will be responsible for rebuilding a new nation.
- There is little proof of a connection to Al-Queda.
- A Turkish invasion of the Kurdish region of Iraq would further destabilize the region.
- A world consensus does not exist for war.
- Allied relationships would be damaged.
Persian Gulf War
In 1991, America was involved in a war with Iraq over the seizure of land in Kuwait. This is considered the first high-tech war in which America was involved. Read about the background, events and outcomes of the war.
Terrorism Through America's History
Terrorism has been a problem throughout history. However, over the last dozen years the United States has become a focal point for the atrocities.