- Sir Walter Raleigh is imprisoned in the Tower of London for a plot against King James I.
- Captain Bartholomew Gosnold is the first Englishman to land on the New England coast.
- Virginia Company of London is granted a Royal Charter to settle in the New World.
- Jamestown is founded under the patent of the London Company.
- Captain John Smith meets Pocahontas.
- Captain John Smith writes A True Relation of Such Occurences and Accidents of Noate(sic) as Hath Hapned(sic) in Virginia Since the First Planting of That Collony(sic).
- Henry Hudson explores the Delaware Bay and Hudson River.
- Thomas West, Lord Delaware, was made Governor of Virginia.
- Henry Hudson discovers Hudson Bay.
- Henry Hudson dies.
- Captain John Smith writes A Map of Virginia.
- The Dutch use Manhattan as a fur trading center.
- Tobacco planted for the first time by English colonists in Virginia.
- English Colonists in Virginia destroy the French settlements at Port Royal, Nova Scotia.
- Sir Walter Raleigh writes The History of the World.
- Pocahontas marries John Rolfe.
- Sir Walter Raleigh released from the Tower of London.
- John Rolfe and Pocahontas travel to England.
- William Baffin discovers Baffin Bay while searching for a Northwest passage.
- Captain John Smith writes A Description of New England.
- A smallpox epidemic decimates the New England Native American population.
- Sir Walter Raleigh sets sail for Guiana.
- Pocahontas dies.
- Sir Walter Raleigh returns to England and is executed.
- The first representative colonial assembly, the House of Burgesses, was formed in Virginia.
- First slaves in North America.
- Mayflower Compact was signed.
- Plymouth Colony founded in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- John Carver was named the first governor of Plymouth Colony.
- Sir Francis Wyatt becomes the new governor of Virginia.
- English attempt to colonize Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
- John Carver dies.
- The Dutch West Indies Company is chartered.
- William Bradford became the governor of Plymouth Colony.
- New Netherlands is organized in America.
- First English settlement in New Hampshire is founded by David Thomas.
- Virginia Company's charter is revoked.
- Virginia becomes a Crown Colony.
- Sir Francis Wyatt remains Governor of Virginia.
- George Fox is born who will become the founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers).
- Captain John Smith writes A General Historie(sic) of Virginia, the Summer Isles and New England.
- The Dutch settle in New Amsterdam.
- King James I dies and is succeeded by Charles I.
Source: Schlesinger, Jr., Arthur M., ed. "The Almanac of American History." Barnes & Nobles Books: Greenwich, CT, 1993.