Question: How many presidents died while serving in office?
Answer: Eight presidents have died while in office. Those are:
- William Henry Harrison - April 4, 1841, died of pneumonia after giving a long inaugural address in the cold and rain.
- Zachary Taylor - July 9, 1850, died of cholera after eating tainted cherries and milk in the middle of the summer.
- Abraham Lincoln - April 15, 1865, died a few hours after being shot by an assassin.
- James Garfield - September 19, 1881, died of blood poisoning two months after being shot by an assassin.
- William McKinley - September 14, 1901, died eight days after being shot by an assassin.
- Warren G. Harding - August 2, 1923, died of pneumonia.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt - April 12, 1945, died of a cerebral hemorrhage.
- John F. Kennedy - November 22, 1963, died a few hours after being shot by an assassin.
More on Presidential Assassinations