Birth: December 28, 1856
Death: February 3, 1924
Term of Office: March 4, 1913 - March 3, 1921
Number of Terms Elected: 2 Terms
First Lady: First Wife: Ellen Louise Axson died while First Lady in 1914; Second Wife: Edith Bolling Galt who he married during his first term - 1 1/2 years after the death of his first wife.
Woodrow Wilson Quote: "The seed of revolution is repression."
Additional Woodrow Wilson Quotes
Major Events While in Office:
- Seventeenth Amendment ratified calling for direct election of Senators (1913)
- Federal Reserve Act (1913)
- Clayton Anti-Trust Act (1914)
- World War I (1914-1918)
- Lusitania Sunk (1915)
- United States entered World War I by declaring war on Germany (1917)
- Treaty of Versailles (1919)
- Eighteenth Amendment ratified prohibiting alcoholic beverages (1919)
- Nineteenth Amendment ratified giving women the right to vote (1920)
States Entering Union While in Office:
Related Woodrow Wilson Resources:
These additional resources on Woodrow Wilson can provide you with further information about the president and his times.
Causes of World War I
What caused World War I? Learn about the major causes of the Great War that occurred while Woodrow Wilson was president.
The late 1800's was a time of movements against the evils of society. One such movement got their reward with the prohibition of all alcoholic beverages in the 18th Amendment to the US Constitution.
The pivotal events and individuals that made the passage of the 19th amendment possible.
Chart of Presidents and Vice Presidents
This informative chart gives quick reference information on the presidents, vice-presidents, their terms of office, and their political parties.
Other Presidential Fast Facts: