From the article: Top 10 Most Influential Presidents
Historians often discuss which presidents were the most influential in American History. It's your turn to rank who you believe are the top ten presidents. Share Your Opinion
- 1) Lincoln, 2)Jefferson (he started the western expansion of US from sea to sea which was a huge influence on policies for a century, founding father, states rights, etc), FDR, Washington, James Monroe, Teddy Roosevelt(US became a world power, here and he on Mt Rushmore), JFK, Eisenhower, Andrew Jackson, and Ronald Reagan (ending the cold war has Got to count for something?) I'm not sure exactly on the order but that my top 10. Maybe Monroe should be more by Jackson... Notables- Nixon (being influential, not necessarily good), Polk, Wilson and Obama. Non notables- LBJ (followed in shadow of JFK and his civil rights was already work in progress), Truman (same as above except FDR instead of JFK), Coolidge, McKinley, Taft. I don't know, just don't think they resonate at top 10.
- —Guest Another American History Buff
- 1.Lincoln 2-John F. Kennedy-People remember he avoided NUCLEAR WAR! He had the Dream that we could do anything if we put our mind to it, and he was against Viet Nam War!I consider him as our peace making President. 3-Washington 4-FDR 5-Clinton 6-Reagan 7-Jefferson 8-Thurman 9-John Adams 10-Eisenhower
- —Guest Diana
- Living in the time of JFK, have people forgotten the Cuban Missile Crisis? Wow, if it hadn't been for JFK, we would not be here today!! He did lots of good for the short time he was in office he was a peace loving president and also the space program president!
- —Guest Dianna
Top 5 presidents in U.S. history
- 1.George Washington 2.Abraham Lincoln 3.Franklin D. Roosevelt 4.John F. Kennedy 5.Ronald Reagan
- —Guest Reshad
- Abraham Lincoln by a long shot he delivered the USA.
- —Guest Guy
I can agree with most, but...
- I believe Ronald Regan deserves to be on this list vice Polk. He not only was a very popular president, but he stood up to communism, worked to keep America strong, and maintain freedom throughout the world. Regan believed in honesty and people a trust Lincoln, Washington, FDR, and Teddy all believed in and practiced. I would also nominate Nixon, but he did have some faults that knock him down out of the top ten. I'm surprised Kennedy did not make the top 10.
- —Guest Nick Stone
the obvious best
- 1) Lincoln, slavery and all that jazz. 2) LBJ, for his movements in civil rights 3) FDR for leading the country through the depression and WWII 4)Woodrow Wilson, progressive era and reforms (women's vote) and WWI 5) Clinton, whether he is a good person or not the economy was great when he was in office 6)Truman 7)Reagan 8) Jefferson 9) George Washington, for founding the nation 10) Obama
- —Guest Garcia
What do you want?
- If you want powerful citizens, then among the top five are: Washington, Coolidge, Cleveland, Madison, and Reagan. If you want powerful government, then they include: Lincoln, Obama, FDR, Wilson, and Truman.
- —Guest Shoan
the presidents that made America
- Bill Clinton, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson J.F.K
- —Guest Victoria h
Why not Taft?
- I feel Taft is a very underestimated president he was very influential.
- —Guest Kingston
My top ten
- 1) FDR 2)Lincoln 3)Eisenhower 4)Reagan 5)Wilson 6)Truman 7)Jefferson 8)JFK 9)Taft 10)Washington
- —Guest Jtolkey
James K Polk
- I believe he should definitely should be in the top ten. He said he wanted to accomplish 4 things (acquire the Oregon territory from Britain, acquire California from Mexico, lower tariffs and establish an independent Treasury). He did them all in one term. He said he would only serve one term. He did what he said he would do, how refreshing would that be these days?
- I have no idea why people include JFK anywhere near the top. He had a presidency of only 2 years with minimal accomplishments and the blunder at bay of pigs. Most historians do not include him anywhere near the top 10 with 2 term presidents concentrated at the top of their lists since they have more time to accomplish. Top 3 should be without debate (no particular order) Lincoln, for saving the union; Washington-for starting the union and setting the presidential precedent; and FDR for overseeing the Great Depression and WWII
- —Guest Melvin
- Written By a Democrat. Wheres Regan, and HW Bush?
- —Guest 270Votes
- Hope you folks dont mind me responding Im from Ireland been over to America lots of times on hols love it. Im naming Presidents I like on personality. For me it is 1 John Kennedy 2 Ronald regan 3 Bill Clinton 4 Barack Obama They have all come to Ireland at one time Also I thought Jimmy Carter was a good guy Thanks to all
1-15 of 157Next